Ficlet Request 2
Jun. 18th, 2018 08:57 pmPrompt: Medieval ball/Cinderella/Female knight in disguise AU
Porque no los tres? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
~*~
Prince Adrien dodged the swing of his faithful knight’s sword. “I’ve never met a woman like her before,” he said. He parried a blow and jumped back, wobbling on the edge of a mud puddle and steadying himself before the next swing came. He and Marin had always been evenly matched, but today the prince was distracted. He couldn’t blink without seeing aquamarine eyes that shimmered with tenderness and hope and, dare he think it, love.
He lifted his hand and leaned over to catch his breath. “I have to find her,” he said. “She lives in the kingdom. Someone must know who she is.”
“May I make a suggestion, Your Highness?”
“For the last time, call me Adrien. We’re best friends.”
“You said she left behind a glass slipper. Why not have every young woman in the kingdom try the slipper to see if it fits?”
Adrien’s eyes widened. “Of course. Why didn’t I think of that?” He pulled a cloth from his pocket and wiped his blade before sheathing it. He hurried out of the castle courtyard, but stopped to clap a hand on Marin’s shoulder, unable to help his excited smile. “If I had my way I’d fire the royal adviser and have you instead.”
“That would be ill-advised.”
Once the prince was gone, Tikki emerged from her hiding place. “Marinette, why didn’t you tell him it was you?”
Marinette cupped a hand around the fairy to hide her from curious eyes. “He doesn’t even know I’m a woman,” she whispered. “For five years I’ve guarded him with my life. How can I reveal myself now?”
“You love him,” Tikki said gently.
Marinette smiled. “It’s enough.” She closed her eyes, remembering the warmth of Adrien’s lips on hers. “I wished to be able to show him who I truly was, to love him as a woman and to be desired by him, and my wish was granted.” It would hurt Adrien to yearn and never find her, but the truth would hurt him far worse. “I had my night,” Marinette said. “Now it is my blade that will prove my devotion.”